Aha! Summers are here in the UK with a bit more sunshine and warm weather. As a kid it used to be fun time because of a 2 month long summer vacation that school children used to get, but when you grow up there is no such thing as a summer vacation, wish there was. But I still remember all the lovely moments and picnics that I used to go out on with my parents and not to forget food. One such recipe is this brown chickpea salad that mum always used to make for our picnics and me and my brother used to love it, we still do today. Simple and quick , bursting with flavours!!
Brown chickpeas are widely available in India and its eaten in various forms in the families. Not for the picnic now, but I make this salad and add some couscous for my weekday lunch which is light and healthy at the same time. You can also add some boiled potatoes and cucumber to make it more exciting and if you like the taste of black rock salt then try adding that instead of table salt. The best part of cooking is you can let your imagination run free and experiment with different flavours and textures.
- 1 cup brown chickpeas soaked overnight and boiled.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon of Indian chaat masala (available in Indian spice stores)
- a pinch of powdered back pepper
- lemon juice
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander leaves/dill leaves/mint leaves to garnish
- Drain the boiled chickpeas and save the water, you can add to any curry/to boil any veggies or lentils.
- Mix everything with the chickpeas and adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- Squeeze a lemon to give it a citrusy zing.
- I have used coriander this time to garnish but you can use other herbs too like dill/mint.
- Serve these in lettuce cups, they will look really pretty and can actually be a good party snack too.
See how you come with so many ideas? Such is the magic of cooking! Enjoy..!! 🙂
Picture credits: Aman Agrawal