We all love Pilau Rice, lunch or dinner, this traditional Indian recipe can be enjoyed anytime with some tangy spicy green chutney and raita. I found this recipe on Tarla Dalal’s YouTube channel and tweaked it according to my taste and it worked brilliantly. If you love cooking , you won’t stop yourself trying this twist. Let’s get started..!!
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes Serves: 2-3 people
- 1 cup rice-washed and soaked for about an hour
- 3 medium sized potatoes-cubed
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 shallots sliced
- 2 tbsp clarified butter/ghee
- 3 cups of water approximately
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander for garnish
From your spice box:
- 1 bay leaf (dried)
- 1″piece cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- clove x 2
- black peppercorns x 2
- a small piece of mace
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Put your grinder to work for this magical paste:
- 2 tbsp grated coconut/desiccated coconut(if fresh is unavailable)
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1″ piece ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chilli (optional)
Real work starts now:
1. Heat ghee/clarified butter in a pan.
2. To the hot ghee/clarified butter add bay leaf, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves, black peppercorns, mace and cumin seeds. Fry them for a second.
3. Add shallots and sauté them until they become translucent followed by potatoes and peas and sauté for a minute. Drop in the remaining spices and sauté again for another minute or so.
4. Time to add the magical paste along with some water while continuously stirring otherwise the yogurt will start curdling.
5. We are not finished yet. Wake up the lazy rice from sleep. Add to the pan along with water and salt. Adjust the water accordingly while cooking. Within 10-15 minutes your rice will be ready. Cooking time can vary, not exact as I mentioned.
6. Your flavourful, aromatic pilau rice is ready and don’t forget the coriander garnishing.
Enjoy and share your pilau rice. Can’t wait to taste mine. Happy Cooking!! 🙂